As of 1 January 2016, if you have a Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP) or Trade Support Loan (TSL) debt and you relocate to live outside of Australia, you will have the same repayment obligations as those who live in Australia.

This new ruling will be applicable if you already live or intend to live overseas for a total of more than six months in any 12-month period.

You will be required to make compulsory payments towards your debt from 1 July 2017, if you are residing outside of Australia and earning an income which exceeds the minimum repayment threshold.

From 1 January 2016, you will need to update your contact details with us so that we can notify the ATO.  This must be done within 7 days of you leaving Australia.

If you have any questions or concerns around this new ruling, please do not hesitate to contact our office.

Comments are closed.